Hugo Kamishi Quartz Medium 1-2mm
- Quarts Medium gravel provides a great looking substrate for your aquarium
- We always recommend that you rinse any substrates before placing them into your aquarium
- Gravel in any aquarium enhances the look but also has other functions
- The most important function that gravel serves is to provide a home for beneficial bacteria. Those bacterial colonies are necessary to eliminate waste produced by the fish, leftover food, and plant debris in the aquarium. If the bacteria don’t have a comfy gravel bed to live in they will find other places, but may not grow in sufficient quantities to keep the aquarium safe for your fish.
- If the tank is left with a bare bottom, it will be necessary to change the water more often in the aquarium to keep harmful wastes from building up. In the event the tank is heavily stocked, even frequent water changes may not be enough to keep ammonia and nitrites at an acceptable level